In recent years, the flow of immigrants to Alberta has increased significantly. According to the new immigration agreement, Alberta is nominating more and more people from over 100 countries for permanent residence in Canada.
This article will show you how to immigrate to the Canadian province of Alberta through one of the many federal and provincial programs.
Alberta is the province with the fastest growing economy. Several factors contributed to its success. First, the richest mineral resources. Fossil wealth gives Alberta an edge in a variety of industrial and export destinations. Secondly, this province is quite densely populated. The largest cities are Edmonton and Calgary. Alberta successfully employs a huge number of highly qualified specialists, strengthening the welfare of the province. And an impressive part of them are immigrants. Thirdly, the beauty of the local nature is mesmerizing. Imagine your life in ecologically clean places, where you can easily get to the most beautiful lakes, reserves, waterfalls from anywhere in half an hour or an hour… Think about immigration to Alberta!
Are you planning moving to Canada and want to know about the advantages of this or that province? Here are some examples of how Alberta took care of its residents during the 2020 quarantine measures. The province has committed $14 billion to support people. This is the largest amount among other provinces of Canada. What were the funds allocated for?
- health care system
- monetary support for people left at home in quarantine
- support for shelters for vulnerable groups of the population
- financial support for enterprises in difficult situations
What advantages has the province gained from hundreds of years of this positive attitude towards its inhabitants? In the words of Jason Kenny, Prime Minister of Alberta:
- Alberta has the lowest taxes in the country
- the province has a well-developed entrepreneurial culture, which allows immigrants, business founders in Canada, to adapt to society as quickly as possible
- the population of the province is the youngest and most educated in the country
- economy here is extremely diversified
- some of the fastest-growing industries are agriculture, a thriving innovation sector, world-class travel experiences, and dynamic creative industries.
The province will scale up immigration assistance to the world’s most distinguished professionals. So, in the near future, tens of thousands of new jobs will be created in Alberta. For this, the province is allocating more than $10 billion. New infrastructure projects will create a need for people: the construction of roads, bridges, schools, hospitals, wire lines, tourist infrastructure and much more. At the same time, entrepreneurs who create new jobs will receive significant tax benefits.
Do you want to launch a startup in Canada? Canada will invest heavily in the Alberta Enterprise Corporation right now and beyond, which helps entrepreneurs raise funds from venture capital funds.
Do you want to invest in the business yourself? Invest Alberta, the newest governmental agency is at your service! It is aggressively promoting Alberta’s investment appeal worldwide.
Are you in the innovation and high tech industry? We hope you are interested in learning about the Innovation Employment Grant. This grant is an exciting new incentive to create high-paying jobs in the most promising business areas. The purpose of the grant is to move Alberta from the rank of one of the most investment-attractive provinces to the rank of #1 province in the above-mentioned sectors.
The federal authorities in Canada are known to have delegated an enormous range of powers to the provincial administrative authorities. Thus, Canada is one of the most decentralized countries in the world. Provinces have independent policies on a range of issues, and immigration is no exception.
Like other provinces in Canada, Alberta has its own provincial immigration program, the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP). As it stands, the province is actively inviting immigrants from all over the world in the hope that new residents will be able to provide significant support to the economy.
The Alberta Immigration Program is run by the Department of Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship with ongoing, comprehensive support from the provincial government. In addition to purely economic goals, the program is aimed at improving social ties, rejuvenating the nation and cultural exchange. Alberta is one of the fastest growing provinces in Canada and its efforts to attract foreigners are noteworthy.
The Immigrant Attraction Program consists of three pillars: Alberta Opportunity Stream, Alberta Express Entry Stream, and Alberta Self-Employed Farmer Stream.
This program allows foreigners who intend to live in the provinces to obtain permanent residence in Canada, as well as foreign graduates who graduated from higher educational institutions in Alberta.
To complete the program, you must have an active employment in Alberta with a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). This type of work permit in Canada allows you to stay in the country due to employment for up to three years.
Requirements for a candidate
- language: the minimum allowable score for passing is 4 on the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB). You can speak both English and French (both are the state languages of Canada). All language skills are assessed: listening, reading, writing, and speaking. Exceptions are people in the following specialties: nurses, orderlies and patient care assistants — the minimum level of language proficiency should be at 7 on the CLB
work permit and residence status: AOS applicants must, both at the time the application is mailed and evaluated:
- have a valid permanent residence in Canada
- have a valid work permit based on:
- exceptions to the rules for recipients of a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)
- exceptions to the LMIA rules for key employees under the Intra-Company Transfers program, international trade agreements, participation in the International Experience Canada program
- Positive Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
- income requirements: they were canceled specifically for Alberta
work experience: the candidate must:
- be employed in exactly the profession that is indicated in the application as the profession of the applicant
- work in a profession consistent with his work experience at the time of application and at the time of its processing
- have at least 12 months of ongoing work experience in a “current occupation” in Alberta in the past 18 months; or
- have at least 24 months of full-time work experience in a “current profession” in Canada and / or outside Canada in the past 30 months
- previously had to work full time, at least 30 hours per week (part time is not considered)
- have a valid temporary resident status
Important! Be sure to check to see if your occupation is on the list of occupations not covered by the provincial Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP). Among them: writers, singers, artists, actors, athletes, casino employees, hunters, miners, landscape designers, home care providers, and others.
- education: the candidate must have at least a high school diploma in Canada or another country. Foreign education must be validated with an Educational Attainment Assessment (ECA) from an IRCC-recognized educational eligibility organization.
Alberta Express Entry Stream
The program includes candidates who apply through the Express Entry system. What is this system? It is an electronic platform that processes applications from experienced workers who want to obtain permanent residence in Canada. The system selects the most promising applicants for passing through immigration programs on a road of moving to Canada. A successful nomination in this stream brings 600 additional points in the Complex Rating System.
Entire system of immigration to Canada heavily uses the Express Entry tool in a huge range of cases.
Who benefits from the program? These are people who have strong connections with Alberta: family ties, education, integration into business processes, and so on. They are also those who can help support the government’s priorities for diversification, progress and innovation.
How is the application process going? You must first receive a Notification of Interest (NOI). The notification will be sent to your personal profile in the Express Entry system. You can get it if:
- you have an active profile in the system
- you have declared your interest in immigration to Alberta for permanent residence
- you work in a profession that promotes economic development and diversification in Alberta
- you already have a CRS point system account
It will be a big advantage if:
- you already have a valid job offer and / or work experience in Alberta
- you have a higher education degree in Alberta
- your next of kin lives in Alberta: parent, child, sibling
After receiving your NOI, you can apply directly for the program. You will receive an email inviting you to participate.
Important! Be sure to consider what not to do if you want a NOI. First, you shouldn’t use an Express Entry profile that expires in three months or less.
Also, you will not be able to participate in the program if your specialization is: insurance or real estate manager, actor and comedian, high school teacher, kindergarten teacher, singer, legal specialist, social services manager, engineering manager, financial broker, corporate sales manager, computer information systems manager, architecture and science manager, advertising, marketing and public relations manager, computer and information systems manager, etc.
Also, you should not apply if you have accumulated a lot of refusals for other AINP streams.
Self-Employed Farmer Stream
This stream is for agribusiness professionals who have the intention and the means to build or buy their own farm in Alberta. The program provides permanent residence in Canada.
Briefly, program requirements are:
- prove of your competence in farming
- a certificate of ownership of your own farm
- business plan
- proof that you have sufficient funds. The minimum investment is $500,000.
Let’s see in one table whether a job offer is required to complete the program and whether an application is required through the Express Entry system.
|Flow||Is there a binding to Express Entry||Do you need a job offer|
|Alberta Opportunity Stream||No||Yes|
|Alberta Express Entry Stream||Yes||No|
|Alberta Self-Employed Farmer Stream||No||No|
Immigration to Alberta assistance
We will help you find the best immigration plan. Our services allow you to significantly save time and money. But more importantly, with us you will achieve your desired goal. Perhaps it will require additional efforts (for example, obtaining a specific education). With our help, you can take the least amount of such steps. Only the optimal strategy! Contact our experts for a free preliminary consultation!